- How Much Money Is Needed To Invest In Rental Property?
- Should A Real Estate Investor Get An Agent’s License?
- 5 Big Factors That Affect The Costs Of Renovating Your Home
- SIBOR Hike – What You Can Do With Your Current Loan
- 6 Basic Don’ts Of Real Estate Negotiation Tactics
- Will New Condo Relaunches Trigger The Great Property Sale We Have All Been Waiting For?
- 10 Proximity Amenities That Add Value To Real Estate
- How To Get Personal Loans More Easily With Good Credit
How To Spot Signs Of Shady And Reliable REO Contractors
See what readers have to say
about this book
It is unfortunate that there are shady REO contractors in operation. This means you need to be very careful when choosing the ones to work with. REO stands for real estate owned. It is typically a class of property owned by the bank or government. Some giveaways of shady operators include:
- Too good a deal. It is advisable to compare various deals that are offered by different companies. This will give you an idea of how much the service should cost as well as the services that you should expect. You should become suspicious of companies that claim to go out of their way to offer incredibly great services that the counterparts cannot match up. This is because they usually entice potential clients with deals that seem too good to be true. Once the clients sign up with these REO contractors, they change their terms almost immediately to the dismay of the clients whom might have gotten too deep with them thus have to take it all in with numerous disappointments.
- Don’t give out contacts. One of the things that stands out when you are looking for contractors is the fact that you have to get a working contract. This is the legal document that outlines various aspects of the job so that both the contractor and the client can know exactly what they have gotten into. Avoid companies that do not want to give you a contact as this means that they can offer substandard services and you will not have anything to fall back on.
- No visit of the site. For the contractors to know how the job will be done; they have to physically visit the site. This will give them a clear picture of the work ahead so that they can plan for it accordingly. This implies that you should stay away from those who only want to give you quotes and talk about the job from the comfort of their offices rather than go out and analyse the situation on the ground. These are probably those who will disturb you in the middle of the project because they had no idea what was going on.
- No proper tools. The clients are not responsible for the equipment that will be used for the job. In fact, they are not supposed to raise a hand unless they really want to. This means that you should avoid all the contractors that request you to chip in when it comes to the tools that will be used. This normally leads to an increase in the entire cost which would have been probably been avoided if the company had their own equipment. This is why most of the time it makes sense to wok with one that has been in the industry for a couple of years as they know how to handle their work.
- Mobile working stations. It is also advisable to avoid those that have mobile offices. This is because you may be looking for them for an urgent job but cannot locate them. Opt instead for the ones that have offices that can be traced with ease.
When looking for a reliable builder to work with, it is important to make sure you find the best persons for the job so that renovations are better managed. Since there are a number of professionals in the industry, you have to remember that there are some that offer exceptional services while others end up disappointing everyone they work with. This is one of the reasons why networking is very important when looking for the contractors to talk to people who have worked with them before to know what kind of experience they had to be on the safe side. Other features you should be on the look out for include:
- Expertise. It is important to make sure that the people you choose to work with have high levels of expertise in the field they are working in. This means that they should have some form of training that enables them to do the job in the right way. It is also vital to look for those that have relevant experience doing the job. This is because this gives them the skills that are needed to do the job right since they have already that type of work before.
- Great customer service. In addition to offering great practical services, it is important to make sure that you find people who also have exceptional customer service. This implies that they should have the ideal channels for communication including phones, email and fax where the customers can choose the ones they feel will work best for them. Experienced experts should also be able to answer any questions that the clients have in regards to the services they offer so that the clients are clear as to what they are really getting into.
- Stick to their words. One of the most important things that you should be on the look out for is one who mean what he says. In simple terms, they should offer working contracts that have all the terms of the business. This is where they have the time fames that the work should be done as well as anything important that have to do with the job that will be done. This way, there will be no confusions or negative issues arising from the job as everything is spelt out the way it is supposed to be. This also helps in case there are any legal issues as there will be something that can be used as evidence in the courts.
- Own equipment. Contractors who have been around for a while will own all the equipment that is needed for the job. This makes the working process much easier for everyone as the clients will not have to part with extra money for the tools to be bought. Even when they don’t have all the tools that are needed for the job, they are supposed to be in charge of borrowing or renting them out without involving the clients in any way to make sure that all the parties are comfortable at the end of the day.