- How Much Money Is Needed To Invest In Rental Property?
- Should A Real Estate Investor Get An Agent’s License?
- 5 Big Factors That Affect The Costs Of Renovating Your Home
- SIBOR Hike – What You Can Do With Your Current Loan
- 6 Basic Don’ts Of Real Estate Negotiation Tactics
- Will New Condo Relaunches Trigger The Great Property Sale We Have All Been Waiting For?
- 10 Proximity Amenities That Add Value To Real Estate
- How To Get Personal Loans More Easily With Good Credit
DIY Roofing – Choices, Estimating Costs, Safety Tips
There are a number of options for roofing depending on the house that you are working on. These include:
This is a great option if you want a roof that will last for many years. They are ideal in places that have warm climate. They are available in different shapes and sizes where a person can choose the one that is best suited for the job. One of the best things about this type of roofing material option is the fact it can be recycled and can also be made from green material for people looking for the latter option.
Single ply thermoset
This is another option that can be incorporated. Basically, this is a roof membrane that is derived from natural gas and oil that has been cured and bonded to the roofing materials. These roofs are normally well sealed and offer great insulation to the buildings where they are used. They are made in factories as opposed to some roofs that are constructed as well as sealed on the construction site. This makes them possess more consistent quality than their counterparts. According to the manufactures, they are great for withstanding the damaging effects bought about by the sun.
Single ply thermoplastic
You can also work with the thermoplastic membranes. These differ from the thermoset because of the chemical composition. This implies that they don’t necessarily use the same type of materials for bonding. These are welded shut and most come with fire retardants and other materials that are used to absorb ultraviolet light. Manufacturers recommend that they are used for restaurants and other businesses that use ventilation systems to push oil out. This is because the membranes are highly resistant to bacterial growth, animal fats and oils. They can also be used on top of other roof types when it is impractical to carry out a full tear down.
Shakes or shingles
Shingles and shakes are some of the most popular materials that are used around. However without the proper engineering, they can be quite a headache because it affects their reflective capabilities. The good thing however is the fact that you can ask professionals to treat the shakes and shingles with some reflective pigments. This however only solves some problem as a bumpy roof can also cause some problems in the future.
Pavers can be defined as paving tiles that have specifically been designed for roofs. They are quite thick around 5 centimeters (2 inches) and are said to reflect about 78% ultraviolet light. Roofing professionals like to work with the pavers as they have all the incredible features of the roofing files. Roofs that are only made of the pavers are very heavy where it can weigh more than 23 pounds for every square foot. They also offer tremendous insulation features especially in buildings that are designed to carry heavy loads. Homeowners can choose to use these types of roofing material in small areas of the house such as balconies.
Figuring out roofing costs
To begin with, it is important to know that the idea of figuring out roofing costs is not an easy task as majority of people would think. However, if you know where you want to begin, the process might be quite easy. The main reason as to why this task is considered to be hard is simply because; there are numerous roofing materials and roofing aspects that make it daunting for one to make the right estimate.
Remember; when it comes to roofing, there is a combination of materials along with labor. On the other hand, it might only be a combination of materials only. As such, it means there are various steps that can help you make the right decision without having to worry. And so, figuring roofing costs is not as daunting so long as you have the hang of it brought by a little practice. This means that with time, you will be making your calculations at ease.
• When figuring out roofing costs, there are things that you will be required to have on hand in order to make the process worthwhile. These things include a tape measure, a ruler and a helper among other things. When you have them on hand, you are good to go in doing your calculations.
1) Firstly, begin by measuring both the length and the width of your roof. It is imperative to ensure that you have a helper stand by so that he or she can help you in holding one end of the tape measure while you make a pulling on the other end. Ensure that what you get is accurate in order to get the right roofing costs.
2) The other thing that you will be required to do when it comes to figuring out roofing costs is, determining the square footage of your roof. Keep in mind that, this is the entire surface area of the roof and can be achieved by multiplying the length of the roof by the width. For instance if your roof is 30 ft. long and 30 ft. wide, it means that the square feet will be 900.
3) In case you are putting any shingles, you will; be required to calculate the square footage for putting them as well. Remember, shingles are usually packed in bundles of about twenty five shingles. So the square footage that you have for your roof will determine how many shingles to purchase.
4) Take time to calculate the materials plus the labor cost that will be required of the roofing project. Lastly, calculate the cost of the materials only especially if you want to do it yourself. Remember, the square footage will determine the cost of the materials that you will be required to purchase.
DIY safety tips
If you have decided to carry out roofing on your own, there are a number of important things you need to keep in mind. The most crucial one is your safety. Roofing can be a dangerous job and you need to ensure that you have put in place all the safety measures that will leave you and your home well protected. Some of these safety tips include:
• Never Work alone.
Working alone on a roof is recipe to disaster. You may injure yourself in the process and have no one to help you out. To avoid all these, ensure that you work with someone so that help is always around when you need it.
• Use a stable ladder
Ensure that the ladder you use is placed on a solid and level surface. You can also invest in a ladder stabiliser for more safety. If you are working on a grass or dirt surface, consider digging holes to put and hold the ladder in place. When you are working on a deck or porch, place a strong board behind the ladder’s legs to avoid slipping.
• Always work on dry roof
It is recommended that you work on the roof when it is dry since wet roofs are slippery. You should also make sure that you have swept off any leaves on the roof because they can make the roof slippery.
• Get the right gear
Without the right gear, you will put yourself at risk. There is quite a number of roofing safety gear that you should invest in and use when carrying out any form of repairs on your roof. Safety harness is one of them, and should be tied to something strong so that it can prevent you from falling if you slip.
You should also look for sturdy footwear that has good traction to prevent slipping. Safety glasses and hardhat are also important as they will protect your eyes and head respectively.
• Keep the area safe
Whether you are working on your own or you have a contractor to work with, it is important to keep the work area safe. Remove tools that are not in use to prevent slipping or tripping dangers. You should also make sure that you have cleared up all the debris from the area to avoid any accidents.
• Do not forget the weather
Do not carry out any roofing work if the weather is not ideal. It is preferable that you put off the work in case you see signs of thunder storms in the area. You should also avoid working on a roof on windy days as the strong wind knock you off your feet.
• Focus on your work
When working, ensure that you focus on the areas that you are working on so that you avoid missing a step or even tripping. It will be dangerous for you to keep getting distracted, even if the view from the roof is spectacular.
With these roofing safety tips, you will surely protect yourself while working.